Historical Reason- The city of Montgomery was originally composed of two different "cities": New Philadelphia and East Alabama Town. Andrew Dexter founded New Philadelphia (the present-day eastern part of downtown) and envisioned his town would one day grow to prominence; thus setting aside a hilltop known as "Goat Hill" as the future location for the state capitol building. As New Philadelphia quickly prospered, General John Scott and his associates built a new town adjacent to it, calling it East Alabama Town. The towns became rivals, but merged on December 3, 1819, and were incorporated as the city of Montgomery (named after General Richard Montgomery who died in the Revolutionary War). As a church that is committed to the preservation and restoration of downtown Montgomery, the city's history is very important to us.
Theological Reason- One can live in Montgomery and very easily see that in many ways we are still two cities: racially, economically, socially, academically, etc. These divisions are unacceptable, and we do not wish to revel in them with our church name. Instead, it is our desire to see the beauty of the gospel of Jesus Christ unite these "two cities" and bring spiritual, social, and cultural renewal to Montgomery. As a city set on a hill, God calls the Church to seek the peace and prosperity of our broken earthly cities. Yet at the same time we long for the eternal city, the new heavens and the new earth, to come quickly and make all things new (Rev. 21).